The fear of relapse

when living with any type of mental illness relapse is always a possibility. It may always be a fear in the back of your mind or you may think its never possible and certainly won't happen to you.

I certainly didn't think I could feel as low as I did this month, once again. Until 2014 I had spent years in the mental health system being detained under the mental health act and moving from hospital to hospital. The last 3-4 years have been my most stable, I have been at my healthiest and at my happiest.

Three weeks ago feelings began to resurface, that I thought I would never feel again. The despair and pain flooded back to my brain, my heart, and my body, I was admitted into hospital for my own safety.  I was scared, frustrated and incredibly disappointed in myself. Being admitted back into a mental health unit was one of my biggest fears, yet on reflection I've been able to learn and identify warning signs as well as acknowledge that I've made progress before so can do it again.

Relapse is an opportunity for growth, it is an opportunity to take a step back, re-evaluate your current position and put into place better coping strategies and more safety plans.

relapse is part of recovery, don't beat yourself up about it. what happens now is whether you let it destroy you or strengthen you. This relapse has made me stronger. It has made me more determine to complete my education, it has made me thankful for all the small things in this world, it has made me stronger.

Hold on pain ends.

Comments

Popular Posts