Independence - moving out!

hello!

So, on the eve of one of the biggest steps I've ever taken - moving into supported accommodation,  I'm sitting in my room surrounded by an unimaginable amount of stuff ranging from play doh to donut shaped pillows and all the weird stuff in-between. I initially wanted to have a bit of a spring clean of my belongings before moving so I could just take the important stuff, but the thing is when there is more than one of you in a body it gets a bit tricky trying to figure out what should go and what should stay. Packing for 5 is not easy feet!

I have thought about the things I use on a regular basis, necessary stuff like hair brush and tooth paste, some colouring and my daft collection of Harry Potter stuff. But then, I think about all the times that I'm not around, all the times when i'm not me. Sometimes I need blankets and certain teddies to feel like my life isn't in danger, sometimes I spend hours drawing in the hopes it distracts me from self harming, and sometimes I like to draw farm animals on the walls (not impressed btw) and read books with a cup of tea (yuck)

If I was packing just for "me" I could probably fit it all in one bag but unfortunately i'm going to need a lot more bags than just the one. I realise I say unfortunately, but really when taking some time to think about it I should really say I am lucky, because I am.

I am lucky to have support
I am lucky I will have a safe roof over my head
I am lucky that I survived my childhood
I am lucky my brain is pretty kick ass

Of course it will be challenging at times, and I know some days housework and dishes may not get done but I also know it will be worth it, I will be free and independent, supported and one step closer to recovery.

C x

Comments

Popular Posts