Positives of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID)

Hello! 

Is there positives about having DID?

Sometimes when we look at a problem too closely you begin to scrutinise and pick at all of the negative things no matter how small they may be. We need to take a step back, look at the bigger picture, maybe then we will be able to see the positive in our situations apposed to doom and gloom we tend to focus on.


When I first thought of the question, is there any positive things about having DID? My intitial answer was NO WAY but then after thinking a little harder, looking a little deeper and judging myself a little less I came up with some things that make DID a blessing in disguise.


  •    I and my alters have so many different talents and interests. I have the ability to draw a beautiful portrait, have a love of reading and a mighty obsession with dinosaurs.

  •    I can watch cartoons at 8am and a horror film at 8pm and thoroughly enjoy both. Although I’m not able to remember watching some things I know a part of me has enjoyed it – especially the film tangled.

  •   I get to have breaks during my day. When I switch and another alter fronts, my body continues   on with the day and I get to switch off. Although it’s not something I choose to do I sometimes get out of having to do rubbish tasks like cleaning the toilet…. HUGE positive right?

  • .          I don’t have a great amount of distressing feelings/memories which enables me to function at a pretty good level. The majority of my childhood i do not remember which I am incredibly grateful for.




So next time you have your microscope out looking at those tiny details of how crappy your situation is, take a step back, gain some perspective, and try to look at the positives however small they may be.




















Comments

Popular Posts