saying goodbye

Hello! 


Goodbyes are often very hard for most people, is it the uncertainty of what’s next, the loss you may feel or the thought of that person forgetting you or you forgetting them. I’m not sure but what I do know is I am terrible at saying goodbye. I get all emotional, worried and water starts to leak from my eyes – which really puts a dent in my façade of being ‘fine’


I recently had to say goodbye to my therapist. Who for the first time in my life trusted her 100%, it was a BIG deal.

Change is scary, but sometimes necessary. We all love order, routine and a certainty to our day and our life – which sometimes can leave us stagnant. The definition of change is "an act or process through which something becomes different." There is nothing negative in the definition but the minute I hear the word ‘change’ my mind automatically goes OH NO! It turns out change is actually an opportunity to grow and develop, progress and learn. Something which we may not have done if we had stayed in the same position.

The uncertainty of change can also give us a needed kick up the backside to work that little bit harder to achieve our goals, especially if there is a level of fear involved. The uncertainty and fear I felt of slipping back to old ways, losing my way and ending up back to square 1 has actually propelled me to accept that little bit more, work that little bit harder and be kinder to myself.

I was scared that all of my hard work over the last 2 years was going to unravel like an old cloth and I would be left on the floor, a pile of material not resembling its old self. This isn’t the truth, and it never can be, because you can’t unlearn or un-achieve all of the good things you have done already.

You can’t suddenly forget how to manage, it may be a little harder, a bit different and sometimes you may just not do it, but deep down you know HOW to, you can’t forget that.

Comments

  1. I relate to this on so many levels! I find it so difficult to say goodbye and always feel as soon as I learn to trust that then people disappear... but change is good, it gives opportunities of growth and the memories and help someone gives you can last a life time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you can build a relationship and trust with one therapist it is possible to build it with another - so ive been told. I hope you also find room to grow and make progress when faced with a hard goodbye x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts